The Optimist Intermediate programme is open to kids who have completed the Sportmalta level two course. It offers young sailors an opportunity to have fun playing games on the water and to get better at sailing, and for both parents and kids to become involved with the community of the club. In the course we cover a variety of topics including;
- A more complete view of the ergonomics of sailing from one point to another.
- Boat handling; stopping and accelerating and holding the boat in position.
- Smoother tacking and gybing and steering the boat efficiently using body weight and the sail.
- Setting up the sail for the wind and the sailing angle and understanding how and when the wind changes.
- Talks and interviews from members of the wider sailing community about the vast and varied opportunities in the sport.